Definition of powerlifting in English:
A form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.
- The sports it can be applied to include powerlifting and Olympic-style weightlifting, but what about bodybuilding?
- For decades, powerlifting's three lifts - the bench press, squat and deadlift - have been considered the truest barometers of a person's overall strength, and for good reason.
- It's the ideal way to prepare your muscle for activities that require velocity or quick recoil, such as powerlifting, basketball, tennis, martial arts and track and field.
- powerlifter noun
- Example sentences
- He actually competed as a powerlifter before switching to bodybuilding, and squats, deadlifts and benches are still staples of his training routine.
- At that time, I focused on building a strong bench press to compete as a powerlifter, and the way my chest responded convinced me that the size of the muscle grows with the size of the weights you use.
- However, even the higher recommendation falls short of the amount considered by serious bodybuilders and powerlifters to be the threshold for stimulating muscle growth - one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.
Definition of powerlifting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.