Definition of powerlifting in English:
A form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.
- The sports it can be applied to include powerlifting and Olympic-style weightlifting, but what about bodybuilding?
- For decades, powerlifting's three lifts - the bench press, squat and deadlift - have been considered the truest barometers of a person's overall strength, and for good reason.
- It's the ideal way to prepare your muscle for activities that require velocity or quick recoil, such as powerlifting, basketball, tennis, martial arts and track and field.
- Example sentences
- He actually competed as a powerlifter before switching to bodybuilding, and squats, deadlifts and benches are still staples of his training routine.
- At that time, I focused on building a strong bench press to compete as a powerlifter, and the way my chest responded convinced me that the size of the muscle grows with the size of the weights you use.
- However, even the higher recommendation falls short of the amount considered by serious bodybuilders and powerlifters to be the threshold for stimulating muscle growth - one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.
Definition of powerlifting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan