(also prairie hen)
- A large North American grouse found on the prairies, the male being noted for the display dance in which it inflates two orange neck pouches and makes a booming sound.
More example sentences
- Genus Tympanuchus, family Tetraonidae: two species
- There were the sheep, deer, grouse of some kind, some sort of prairie chicken in full peacock-like display, bald eagles, hawks, coyote and even some elk that I saw on the way home.
- Results for the prairie chicken indicated that a single vital rate consistently had greatest effect on population growth.
- Our larder… is helped out by prairie chicken, quail, and a very small amount of venison, each in its season.
More definitions of prairie chickenDefinition of prairie chicken in:
- The US English dictionary