- A gregarious ground squirrel that lives in interconnected burrows which may cover many hectares, native to the grasslands of North America.
More example sentences
- Genus Cynomys, family Sciuridae: several species
- For example, the prairie dog is a tremendous pest throughout the Western United States.
- The ferret's survival has forever been entwined with that of the prairie dog, a foot-tall rodent that makes up about 90 percent of the predator's diet.
- Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.
More definitions of prairie dogDefinition of prairie dog in:
- The US English dictionary