Definition of pre-tension in English:
1Apply tension to (an object) before manufacture or use: the safety system pre-tensions the seat belts
More example sentences
- The Musso also has ABS brakes, traction control, driver's side airbag, pre-tensioned safety belts and side impact protection bars.
- Mercedes has a similar system on the S-Class called ‘Pre-Safe’ that pre-tensions the seatbelts, adjusts the seats to their optimal crash position if necessary, and closes the sunroof should the vehicle skid.
- If the sensor net determined that a collision was imminent, the system could brake the vehicle, pre-charge the airbags, pre-tension the seatbelts, and plot a path to impact that would result in the least likelihood of injury or death.
1.1Strengthen (reinforced concrete) by applying tension to the reinforcing rods before the concrete has set.
- Concrete can be prestressed in a factory by tensioning the steel reinforcement first and then placing concrete around it - ‘pre-tensioned’ reinforcement.
- Dowel bars are similar steel bars installed across joints to provide resistance to shear, but are not pre-tensioned.
- Effectively an evolution of the familiar DSC traction control system, DSC + offers a range of benefits, including brake standby that pre-tensions the brakes when the driver quickly removes the pressure from the accelerator pedal.
- Example sentences
- The cars come with a good deal of kit: standard electronic stability, anti-lock brakes and electronic brake force distribution, disc brakes all round, four airbags and belt pre-tensioners.
- Safety package includes side curtain airbags as well as energy-absorbent front seat back, with anti-whiplash mechanism, as well as front and rear seat belt pre-tensioners.
- Worries about safety are met by a body shell which meets all European and American collision standards, driver and passenger front and side airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and twin roll bars.
Definition of pre-tension in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan