Definition of pre-tension in English:
1Apply tension to (an object) before manufacture or use: the safety system pre-tensions the seat belts
More example sentences
- The Musso also has ABS brakes, traction control, driver's side airbag, pre-tensioned safety belts and side impact protection bars.
- Mercedes has a similar system on the S-Class called ‘Pre-Safe’ that pre-tensions the seatbelts, adjusts the seats to their optimal crash position if necessary, and closes the sunroof should the vehicle skid.
- If the sensor net determined that a collision was imminent, the system could brake the vehicle, pre-charge the airbags, pre-tension the seatbelts, and plot a path to impact that would result in the least likelihood of injury or death.
1.1Strengthen (reinforced concrete) by applying tension to the reinforcing rods before the concrete has set.
- Concrete can be prestressed in a factory by tensioning the steel reinforcement first and then placing concrete around it - ‘pre-tensioned’ reinforcement.
- Dowel bars are similar steel bars installed across joints to provide resistance to shear, but are not pre-tensioned.
- Effectively an evolution of the familiar DSC traction control system, DSC + offers a range of benefits, including brake standby that pre-tensions the brakes when the driver quickly removes the pressure from the accelerator pedal.
- Example sentences
- The cars come with a good deal of kit: standard electronic stability, anti-lock brakes and electronic brake force distribution, disc brakes all round, four airbags and belt pre-tensioners.
- Safety package includes side curtain airbags as well as energy-absorbent front seat back, with anti-whiplash mechanism, as well as front and rear seat belt pre-tensioners.
- Worries about safety are met by a body shell which meets all European and American collision standards, driver and passenger front and side airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and twin roll bars.
Definition of pre-tension in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.