An electronic device that amplifies a very weak signal, for example from a microphone or pickup, and transmits it to a main amplifier.
- This makes it suitable for audio applications, including audio amplifiers and preamplifiers, home entertainment system, mixing desks and audio recording equipment.
- The microphone signal was amplified by a low-noise preamplifier and was processed by a two-phase lock-in amplifier.
- Microphone preamplifiers seem to come in two flavors these days: modern designs with lots of bells and whistles (such as EQ, dynamics and A / D converters) and vintage designs, which tend to take a more minimalist approach.
preamplify verb (preamplifies, preamplifying, preamplified)
- Example sentences
- The photodiode signal was preamplified, digitized, and processed by a computer.
- The PA signal was preamplified and then analyzed by a lock-in amplifier.
- All raw myoelectric signals were preamplified.
Definition of preamplifier in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.