Definition of prebiotic in English:
1Existing or occurring before the emergence of life.
- Other analyses have inspected the interplay between similar selective mechanisms involved in the reproduction of viruses, prebiotic replicators, and cytoplasmic organelles, but do not deal with plasmid-specific traits.
- One notable consequence for biology was a thoroughgoing re-evaluation of experimental work on prebiotic and biotic evolution.
- This interpretation would thus offer a novel insight into the selection of the proteinaceous amino acids from the near-infinite possibilities of both prebiotic syntheses and biosynthetic modification.
2Promoting the growth of beneficial intestinal microorganisms.
- Messenger says yogurt formulators, in certain cases, can eliminate the use of aspartame by using the proper prebiotic fiber.
- Over the past year, Stonyfield Farm, Londonderry, N.H., launched yogurt made with the prebiotic inulin.
- Prebiotic ingredients complement the health-conscious environment of today's food marketplace.
nounBack to top
A non-digestible food ingredient that promotes the growth of beneficial microorganisms in the intestines.
- Half of the company's products also contain inulin, a natural dietary fiber and prebiotic.
- In dairy products containing live cultures, inulin works as a prebiotic to help the cultures grow and function at their peak.
- Scientifically defined as a "prebiotic," inulin has been shown to stimulate good bacteria in the digestive tract.
Words that rhyme with prebioticabiotic, amniotic, antibiotic, chaotic, demotic, despotic, erotic, exotic, homoerotic, hypnotic, idiotic, macrobiotic, meiotic, narcotic, neurotic, osmotic, patriotic, psychotic, quixotic, robotic, sclerotic, semiotic, symbiotic, zygotic, zymotic
Definition of prebiotic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan