- 1Present as the strongest or main element: the predominant colour was whiteMore example sentences
- The three predominant colours of this film are black, white and green.
- The color you choose will be determined by the predominant color of the room.
- Green is the predominant color achieved naturally by using low quality sand with high iron content.
- 1.1Having or exerting control or power: the predominant political forcesMore example sentences
- In 1914, France was one of Europe's leading powers but not the predominant force that it had been in Napoleon's day.
- Superiority and power are predominant themes in the perioperative environment.
- As Britain knows, all predominant power seems for a time invincible, but in fact it is transient.
mid 16th century: from Old French, from medieval Latin predominant- 'predominating', from the verb predominari (see predominate).