Definition of prefecture in English:
1(In certain countries) a district under the authority of a prefect or governor.
- These might look ordinary trees, but they are in fact a very special present from the governor of the Nara prefecture in Japan.
- In 1905 the islands were ‘incorporated’ into the Japanese Empire, when the Governor of Shimane prefecture stated that the islands were under the juristiction of the Shimane prefectural government.
- There are forty-three ordinary prefectures, three metropolitan prefectures with special administrative powers, and one administrative region for the northernmost island.
1.1A prefect’s office or tenure.
- To avoid the name calling that a woman would probably receive at a horse fair, he got permission from the prefecture of police to dress in men's clothing.
- The prefecture will stop using workshops for industrial production, and settlers in the General Building of the General Zhang Aiping will be relocated.
1.2The official residence or headquarters of a prefect: enraged fans besieged the Prefecture of Police
More example sentences
- But even so France was left with a vast surplus of grand edifices, mainly ecclesiastical, that were empty and could be converted into the prefectures, town halls, museums, and barracks required by the new regime.
- Example sentences
- I can negotiate at provincial and prefectural level, and bring these levels into dialogue with one another.
- The idea seems to be catching on: the new prefectural subway system, Oedo-sen, began wrapping their cars with ads last September.
- In 1995, the State Council offered two pension scheme designs for the municipal and prefectural governments to choose from.
Words that rhyme with prefecturetambour • caricature
Definition of prefecture in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.