1 Zoology & Psychology The action of grasping or seizing.
- After prey capture is initiated, jaw prehension is used to ingest the prey item.
- In short, grasping food objects and small-diameter supports were probably key factors in the development of primate manual prehension.
- Prey were captured in water using jaw prehension, triggered by visual or tactile information.
2 Philosophy An interaction of a subject with an event or entity which involves perception but not necessarily cognition.
- Again, how far down you push a cultural background (or collective prehension) depends upon how far down you are willing to push individual prehension.
- So prehension is a ferment of qualitative valuation which need not necessarily be conscious.
Early 19th century: from Latin prehensio(n-), from prehendere 'to grasp'.
Words that rhyme with prehensionabstention, apprehension, ascension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contention, contravention, convention, declension, detention, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prevention, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
Definition of prehension in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.