- 1The office, rank, or sphere of authority of a prelate.More example sentences
- Opus Dei was founded by a priest, has a bishop at its head, and numbers many priests and bishops among its members; its full name, before it was erected as a personal prelature, was the Priestly Society of the Holy Cross and Opus Dei.
- The authorities of the prelature must totally avoid even so much as giving advice on these matters.
- Thomas is a member of Opus Dei, the personal prelature of the Pope comprised of lay persons.
early 17th century: from French prélature, from medieval Latin praelatura, from praelatus 'civil dignitary' (see prelate).
More definitions of prelatureDefinition of prelature in:
- The US English dictionary