Definition of premier in English:
1First in importance, order, or position; leading: Germany’s premier rock band the premier league
More example sentences
- Ten years ago, our nation's two leading rock critics declared the premier band of the era to be nothing but indolent hacks.
- It was a rock star moment, epitomising the event, as truly a celebration of this country's premier rock band.
- The national league is the premier competition in Australia.
nounBack to top
1A Prime Minister or other head of government.
- The premier told the president that failure to co-operate with The Hague would have disastrous consequences for the country.
- Parliament will then appoint a premier, who in turn will appoint a cabinet.
- The Prime Minister will also discuss this with the Chinese premier during his forthcoming visit to the UK.
1.1(In Australia and Canada) the chief minister of a government of a state or province.
- This week, Canada's provincial premiers will be meeting in Victoria, B.C., and later this month they will meet with the prime minister.
- Among others present were Pandor and a number of the new premiers of the nine provinces.
- One has to realize that real power lies with a prime minister and a provincial premier.
Words that rhyme with premierEmyr
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia