- A substance used to preserve foodstuffs, wood, or other materials against decay: salt has been used for centuries as a preservative the jams contain no artificial colours or preservativesMore example sentences
- The scheme can only accept household paint and not car paint, varnish, wood preservatives or other chemicals.
- That's it; there are no preservatives, and the garlic is packed in ordinary jars.
- Food additives, such as preservatives and colourants, can also cause skin rashes and wheezing.
adjectiveBack to top
- Acting to preserve something: the preservative effects of freezingMore example sentences
- Doesn't their shape have a preservative effect?
- The Jews would have been familiar with the preservative effects of salt.
- While I'm a relative fan of meat, sausages tend to be stacked with salt, and also may contain preservative chemicals which have been linked with an increased risk of cancer.
late Middle English: via Old French from medieval Latin praeservativus, from late Latin praeservat- 'kept', from the verb praeservare (see preserve).
More definitions of preservativeDefinition of preservative in:
- The US English dictionary