noun (plural presidios)
- (In Spain and Spanish America) a fortified military settlement.More example sentences
- Serra also assisted in founding four presidios (military garrisons).
- In 1752, the Spaniards built a presidio, or garrison, in nearby Tubac and encouraged settlers to join the soldiers, making it the first European settlement in Arizona.
- One way to celebrate the anniversary is at a November 10 lecture and walking tour of the presidio and Tubac townsite.
Spanish, from Latin praesidium 'garrison'.
More definitions of presidioDefinition of presidio in:
- The US English dictionary