Definition of pressure cooker in English:
1An airtight pot in which food can be cooked quickly under steam pressure.
- In a pressure cooker, foods actually cook three to ten times faster than ordinary cooking methods.
- And when yellow split dal (moong dal) is cooked in the pressure cooker for three whistles and allowed to cool on its own, will not the dal become too gooey?
- Steam for about 10 minutes till the iddiappam is cooked (a pressure cooker can be used without the weight).
1.1A highly stressful situation or assignment: an academic pressure cooker which turns teenagers into depressives
More example sentences
- Is it hard when interviewing candidates in that kind of pressure cooker situation to get them off the official talking points?
- A new manager will need time to bed in and implement his own ideas, and the pressure cooker of the current situation is not the ideal place to start the re-building process.
- Wanderers actually looked to be enjoying the pressure cooker situation as they knocked the ball about searching for further openings.
- Example sentences
- The best cooking methods are microwaving, pressure-cooking, steaming, and stir-frying.
- My friend is an excellent cook and she has planned the menu carefully, from pressure-cooking the beans for the homemade hummus to the icing on the brownies.
- You can prevent food poisoning in home-canned vegetables by pressure-cooking vegetables before canning.
Definition of pressure cooker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan