Definition of pressure cooker in English:
1An airtight pot in which food can be cooked quickly under steam pressure.
- In a pressure cooker, foods actually cook three to ten times faster than ordinary cooking methods.
- And when yellow split dal (moong dal) is cooked in the pressure cooker for three whistles and allowed to cool on its own, will not the dal become too gooey?
- Steam for about 10 minutes till the iddiappam is cooked (a pressure cooker can be used without the weight).
1.1A highly stressful situation or assignment: an academic pressure cooker which turns teenagers into depressives
More example sentences
- Is it hard when interviewing candidates in that kind of pressure cooker situation to get them off the official talking points?
- A new manager will need time to bed in and implement his own ideas, and the pressure cooker of the current situation is not the ideal place to start the re-building process.
- Wanderers actually looked to be enjoying the pressure cooker situation as they knocked the ball about searching for further openings.
- Example sentences
- The best cooking methods are microwaving, pressure-cooking, steaming, and stir-frying.
- My friend is an excellent cook and she has planned the menu carefully, from pressure-cooking the beans for the homemade hummus to the icing on the brownies.
- You can prevent food poisoning in home-canned vegetables by pressure-cooking vegetables before canning.
Definition of pressure cooker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.