Relating to or denoting a nerve cell that releases a transmitter substance into a synapse during transmission of an impulse: the presynaptic terminal
More example sentences
- Instead, transmission is accomplished by the release of a chemical neurotransmitter substance from the presynaptic fibre.
- The toxin irreversibly binds to presynaptic cholinergic receptors at motor nerve terminals and is subsequently internalized.
- The authors proposed a mechanism of action whereby the calcium channel blocker inhibited the presynaptic release of neurotransmitters.
- More example sentences
- Cocaine blocks the reuptake of catecholamines presynaptically.
- Glutamate is released presynaptically and binds to a postsynaptic receptor gating a cation-selective channel, thus depolarizing the post-synaptic cell.
- We find that the occurrence of glia postsynaptically is strikingly higher than presynaptically, in both types of synapses.
Definition of presynaptic in:
- The US English dictionary