Definition of pretentious in English:
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed: pretentious art films the pretentious jargon of wine experts
More example sentences
- Enough of this pseudo-intellectual posturing, these pretentious literary musings!
- What you want to do if you actually fancy being a pretentious intellectual is read the book.
- Sadly, it comes across more as a pretentious attempt to buy the world a coke.
overambitious, pompous, artificial, flatulent, inflated, overblown, overripe, fustian, hyperventilated, mannered, high-flown, high-sounding, flowery, grandiose, big, grand, elaborate, extravagant, heroic, flamboyant, ornate, grandiloquent, magniloquent, bombastic, turgid, orotund, rhetorical, oratorical;
North American sophomoric
US black English dicty
- Example sentences
- The dialogue is self-consciously clunky, the characters are stereotypes and each section is fronted with a pretentiously redundant quotation.
- This movie, on the other hand, looks like it's going to be either a new horror classic that shapes the genre, or one of the most pretentiously awful films of all time.
- Rather pretentiously, I always have this by the bed - I often find it soothing to read a few pages about the mating and migratory habits of swallows before I go to sleep.
Words that rhyme with pretentiousconscientious, contentious, licentious, sententious, tendentious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.