Definition of preternatural in English:
Beyond what is normal or natural: autumn had arrived with preternatural speed
More example sentences
- Harte's stories, in their matter-of-fact referencing of the preternatural and supernatural, and in their blending of the fantastic and the mundane may be seen as affiliates of Magic Realism.
- Abruptly, Beth and the other vampire joined the fray, fighting with teeth as well as preternatural speed and strength.
- The assistant moves with preternatural delicacy, and speed, and soon the ant is seated.
extraordinary, out of the ordinary, exceptional, unusual, uncommon, rare, singular, signal, peculiar, unprecedented, outstanding, remarkable, phenomenal, abnormal, anomalous, inexplicable, unaccountable;
supernatural, paranormal, mystical, unearthly, unworldly, other-worldly, fantastic, magical, prodigious, wonderful, wondrous, miraculous;
- Example sentences
- As they approach that limit they become preternaturally intelligent and violently paranoiac.
- Looking from the outside in, they view design as preternaturally flawed, subject to fluctuating markets and consequent shifts in personal taste, economic stability and technological change.
- But later, when they're over-rehearsed into being preternaturally wise and all-seeing, they start to cloy.