Definition of prevention in English:
The action of stopping something from happening or arising: crime prevention the treatment and prevention of AIDS
More example sentences
- He said police would be working in the community this month to highlight issues such as crime prevention.
- She said officers would have advised the owners on what crime prevention measures they could take.
- She said that it was up to the community to take a greater role in crime prevention.
prevention is better than cure (or US an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure)
- proverb It’s easier to stop something happening in the first place than to repair the damage after it has happened.Example sentences
- Remember, prevention is better than cure and is much cheaper both in terms of hardware damage/replacement and lost production due to data loss.
- While council officials are not unduly worried they are nonetheless taking the view that prevention is better than cure, especially if the hot weather continues for the rest of August.
- We believe that prevention is better than cure, and we keep up with latest technology and colours to find the best for our customers.
Words that rhyme with preventionabstention, apprehension, ascension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contention, contravention, convention, declension, detention, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prehension, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
Definition of prevention in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia