- A long, slender fish with a spiny dorsal fin running the length of the body. It lives in cooler seas of the northern hemisphere, typically in shallow inshore waters.
More example sentences
- Family Stichaeidae: many genera and species
- Two such methods include coiling the body around the eggs (pricklebacks and gunnels) and covering the eggs with algae (temperate sculpins and wrasses).
- Pricklebacks are slithery, elusive and ugly as sin, but their taste is little short of divine.
- We fished for the pricklebacks (Cebidichthys violaceous) with poke poles -- long old-fashioned bamboo poles or modern plastic telescoping poles -- with short wire leaders and hooks baited with squid.
More definitions of pricklebackDefinition of prickleback in:
- The US English dictionary