- The chief female dancer in a ballet or ballet company.More example sentences
- Sulamith Messerer became a prima ballerina with the Bolshoi Ballet at the age of 20 when she volunteered, without rehearsal, to stand in for the injured Ekaterina Geltser as Kitri in Don Quixote.
- She received her initial training in Berlin from Alexandra Nicolaieva, a former prima ballerina of the Bolshoi Ballet.
- The young woman knew that all eyes were on her, well, all these that weren't still watching the prima ballerina of the Cleveland ballet.
late 19th century: Italian, literally 'first ballerina'.
More definitions of prima ballerinaDefinition of prima ballerina in:
- The US English dictionary