noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic compound derived from quinoline, used in the treatment of malaria.More example sentences
- Several other drugs have been evaluated, including tetracycline, primaquine, sulfadiazine and pyrimethamine (Fansidar).
- Fifteen years ago, surveys done by the Ministry of Health found that most people on the island nation carry an enzyme that renders primaquine, a common anti-malarial drug, useless.
- The authors also discuss the use of primaquine and other 8-aminoquinoline compounds that are being investigated for malarial prophylaxis in resistant areas.
1940s: apparently from Latin prima (feminine of primus 'first') + quin(olin)e.
More definitions of primaquineDefinition of primaquine in:
- The US English dictionary