Definition of primary structure in English:
1 Biochemistry The characteristic sequence of amino acids forming a protein or polypeptide chain, considered as the most basic element of its structure.
- The primary structure of peptides and proteins refers to the linear number and order of the amino acids present.
- A protein's primary structure refers to the sequence of amino acids in the molecule.
- Although various substitutions occur in primary structures of immunoglobulin light chains, no common amino acid has yet been identified which is unique to AL amyloidosis or other immunoglobulin-related diseases.
2 Aeronautics The parts of an aircraft whose failure would seriously endanger safety.
- All of the airplane's primary structure was found at the accident site.
- Fusion welded aluminum primary structures in airplanes are virtually nonexistent, because the high-strength alloys utilized have low weldability and low weld-joint efficiencies.
- The certification of the 737 Composite Horizontal Stabilizer was the first large commercial aircraft primary structure in the world certified for commercial aircraft.
Definition of primary structure in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan