Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of prime contract in English:
A contract whose requirements are partly fulfilled by the awarding of subcontracts.
- Currently the company has the $6 million prime contract on the largest project in central Pennsylvania, a seven-story judicial center in York County.
- As well as designing and building the ships, the £130 million prime contract covers the support of the ships through their expected 25-year service life with the Royal Navy.
- This is done in order to counteract the main trend in defense contract awards, which concentrates prime contracts among a very small number of firms - for example, each year approximately two-thirds of such contracts go to 100 firms.
- 1prime contractor noun
- Example sentences
- The former, as prime contractor, builds the aft and central superstructure, the latter the ship's bow and distinctive pyramidal main mast.
- Typically, these projects consist of a prime contractor that doles out parts of the jet's development to dozens of subcontractors and hundreds of smaller suppliers.
- Production is primarily dependent on the privately owned network of prime contractors and subcontractors.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.