- 1 [mass noun] A substance used as a preparatory coat on wood, metal, or canvas, especially to prevent the absorption of subsequent layers of paint or the development of rust: apply three coats of primer [count noun]: new plaster should be treated with a primerMore example sentences
- Paint each plate rail with primer and two coats of white enamel.
- Research shows that one coat of tinted primer and one coat of paint will give you a better paint job than two coats of paint.
- Sand the areas until they are smooth and coat them with interior primer and let it dry completely.
- 1.1A cosmetic applied to the face before another product, intended to improve the coverage and lasting effect of the second product: it’s best to apply primer around the eye to help the make-up blend properlyMore example sentences
- I have never needed primer: nothing shifts on my eyelids.
- Skin Base can be used as a primer, concealer or foundation and is available in 18 shades.
- Primer is one of those beauty secrets that can make a big difference in the look and wear of your makeup.
- 2A cap or cylinder containing a compound which responds to friction or an electrical impulse and ignites the charge in a cartridge or explosive: the nitro-cellulose is ignited by the spark that comes from the primerMore example sentences
- When a firing pin drops on a primer igniting the powder charge, the cartridge and cylinder move slightly forward.
- Lead is a key component in primers as well as bullets, and is responsible for holding together other chemicals that create the controlled explosion of the primer.
- The honest concern is about airborne lead ejected by the primer and bullet when a cartridge is fired.
- 3A small pump for pumping fuel to prime an internal-combustion engine, especially in an aircraft: no more than four pumps of the primer usually sufficeMore example sentences
- While cranking, keep your hand on the primer so you can give it a quick shot as the cylinders fire.
- The engine primer needs to be used only if the engine is ‘cold-soaked’ (at least 5 hours since it was last run).
- 4 Biochemistry A molecule that serves as a starting material for a polymerization process: the duplex RNA primer cannot initiate DNA replicationMore example sentences
- The primase utilizes the DNA strands as templates and synthesizes a short stretch of RNA generating a primer for DNA polymerase.
- The attached glucose is believed to serve as the primer required by glycogen synthase.
- The additional nucleotide used on both primers was adenine.
- An elementary textbook that serves as an introduction to a subject of study or is used for teaching children to read: a first-year philosophy primerMore example sentences
- I've been for the last couple of years, looking at children's books, looking at primers that kids read in first grade and second grade, over this century.
- Children used to learn to read from primers that showed pictures of things with their names underneath, to teach them what the written signifier meant.
- Gaustad's work is unique in this regard and will serve as one of the best historical primers on the subject for years to come.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin primarius (liber) 'primary (book)' and primarium (manuale) 'primary (manual)'.