Definition of primipara in English:
noun (plural primiparae prʌɪˈmɪp(ə)riː)Medicine
A woman who is giving birth for the first time.
- We restricted the analysis to primiparae (73.5% of whom reported no previous pregnancies) because death of a previous baby may influence both the decision to conceive again and its outcome.
- Puerperal insanity proper comes on within one month of parturition; and, like the insanity of pregnancy, occurs most often in primiparae.
- There were no differences in age, gestational age, ratio of primiparae to pluriparae, body weight, or height between the treatment and control groups.
- Example sentences
- Catch-up growth between zero and two years was also related to low maternal birth weight and primiparous pregnancy, and there was a trend towards more mothers who admitted to smoking in pregnancy.
- Ms Reynolds, a 25 year old woman, primiparous with one miscarriage, presented to her general practitioner when eight weeks pregnant complaining of nausea and vomiting.
- Caesarean sections were more common among wealthy and educated women, those with more antenatal attendance, primiparous women and, paradoxically, those with a lower gestational risk.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin (feminine), from primus 'first' + -parus 'bringing forth' (from the verb parere).
Definition of primipara in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.