Definition of primipara in English:
noun (plural primiparae /-riː/)Medicine
A woman who is giving birth for the first time.
- We restricted the analysis to primiparae (73.5% of whom reported no previous pregnancies) because death of a previous baby may influence both the decision to conceive again and its outcome.
- Puerperal insanity proper comes on within one month of parturition; and, like the insanity of pregnancy, occurs most often in primiparae.
- There were no differences in age, gestational age, ratio of primiparae to pluriparae, body weight, or height between the treatment and control groups.
mid 19th century: modern Latin (feminine), from primus 'first' + -parus 'bringing forth' (from the verb parere).
- Example sentences
- Catch-up growth between zero and two years was also related to low maternal birth weight and primiparous pregnancy, and there was a trend towards more mothers who admitted to smoking in pregnancy.
- Ms Reynolds, a 25 year old woman, primiparous with one miscarriage, presented to her general practitioner when eight weeks pregnant complaining of nausea and vomiting.
- Caesarean sections were more common among wealthy and educated women, those with more antenatal attendance, primiparous women and, paradoxically, those with a lower gestational risk.
Definition of primipara in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan