A plant of a genus that includes primroses, cowslips, and polyanthuses. Many kinds are cultivated as ornamentals, bearing flowers in a wide variety of colours in the spring.
- Genus Primula, family Primulaceae
More example sentences
- Their favourite was the rose, followed by hellebores, peonies, clematis, magnolias, lilies, euphorbias, primulas, snowdrops, geraniums.
- You can use a combination of plants: primulas, cyclamen, heathers and ivy are all useful for winter colour.
- Following our pale primrose are the Wanda primulas, very attractive plants with very dark, often evergreen, crinkled leaves and rich flowers in shades of purple, pink and red as well as white and yellow.
modern Latin, from medieval Latin, feminine of primulus, diminutive of primus 'first'.
Definition of primula in:
- The US English dictionary