The presiding bishop of the Scottish Episcopal Church, elected by the bishops from among their number.
- Church of Scotland moderator, Reverend Andrew McLellan, and the primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church the Most Rev Bruce Cameron will attend ‘in a supporting role’ according to Scottish CND.
- This church has a strong past association with a well-known contemporary Scottish figure, Richard Holloway, formerly primus of the Episcopal Church and now more of a lay philosopher and social critic.
- There is no primus in the Scottish Catholic church, though there are two metropolitans.
Late 16th century: from Latin, literally 'first'.
Words that rhyme with primusMimas, thymus, timeous
Definition of primus in:
- US English dictionary
A brand of portable cooking stove that burns vaporized oil.
- Instruments were sterilised using a pressure cooker (later an autoclave) on a Primus stove.
- The alcohol was so strong it was used for burning the stubble of plucked chickens and for Primus stoves and Tilley lamps.
- As a volunteer for the Royal Air Force, he developed improved mountain rescue methods and in Northern Ireland researched prepacked rations for the flying boats, negating the need for vegetable sacks and a Primus stove on board.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan