Definition of principal axis in English:
1Each of three mutually perpendicular axes in a body about which the moment of inertia is at a maximum.
- The rotation axis was the principal axis of the largest moment of inertia of the helix.
- Taking all these assignments into account, we can now calculate a rotational diffusion coefficient for the three principal axes of the inertia tensor, the two-tail vectors, the PN vector, and the intramolecular vector.
- The principal axes of the moment of inertia tensor will be used to give us an idea of the overall rotation of the molecule.
1.1 another term for optical axis.
- This specimen resembles those of Diagoniella cyathiformis because the skeletal net is composed of diagonally arranged stauractines and diactines, oriented at approximately 45° to the principal axis of the sponge.
- We suspect that the new species described here may be transitional between the two genera, because it contains spicules that are diagonal and others that are parallel to the principal axis.
- The second is the orientation of the amino acid with respect to the principal axis of the other helix; the more the amino acid is directed toward the other helix, the better its burial.
Definition of principal axis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.