- Genus Pachyptila, family Procellariidae: six species
- In addition to the wandering, we also were entranced by royal and shy albatrosses, as well as Cape and giant petrels, fairy prions and fluttering shearwaters.
- It is generally accepted that the Family Procellariidae can be split into four broad groupings; the fulmars (Fulmarus), the gadfly-petrels (Pterodroma), the prions (Pachyptila) and the shearwaters (Puffinus).
- The prions currently comprise six rather similar looking species of Pachyptila prion together with the Blue Petrel.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin (former genus name), from Greek priōn 'a saw' (referring to its sawlike bill).
Words that rhyme with prionLeon, Lyons, neon • Brian, cyan, Gaian, Geminian, Hawaiian, ion, iron, Ixion, lion, Lyon, Mayan, Narayan, O'Brien, Orion, Paraguayan, Ryan, scion, Uruguayan, Zion
- Twisted forms of brain proteins called prions spread the disease, making normal proteins misfold.
- The means of transmission is of particular concern because the protein nature of prions makes them extremely resistant to conventional means of disinfection and sterilization.
- For many years after their discovery as the agents of some rare neurodegenerative diseases in mammals, such as scrapie in sheep and human Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and kuru, prions have remained a truly esoteric research topic.
1980s: by rearrangement of elements from pro(teinaceous) in(fectious particle)..
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.