- The middle layer of the shell of a mollusc, consisting of crystalline calcite or aragonite.More example sentences
- The prismatic layer is the middle layer and is composed of thin blocks of a prism-like calcium carbonate, which are oriented perpendicular to the mantle and the other two layers.
- Thinner extensions from the prismatic layer in Pseudobigalea crista also form comarginal ridges.
- As a result, it has been difficult to identify detailed or minute shell structures embedded in the thick prismatic layer or secondary thickening at the shell posterior.
More definitions of prismatic layerDefinition of prismatic layer in:
- The US English dictionary