- A shrub of the olive family, with small white heavily scented flowers and poisonous black berries.
More example sentences
- Genus Ligustrum, family Oleaceae: several species, in particular the evergreen L. ovalifolium, often used as hedging in towns
- Swirling robins and starlings competed for the red berries of the barberry and the blue berries of the privet.
- The planting included oak, ash, crab-apple, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, privet and dogwood and down by the ponds in River Field two areas of willows were planted.
- Plants such as privet or barberry need severe pruning immediately after planting and at the beginning of the second year to make them bushy.
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of privetDefinition of privet in:
- The US English dictionary