adjective & adverb
- To such an extent; to that extent: [as adjective]: failure to assume this responsibility could result in a lawsuit or in a pro tanto taking of property [as adverb]: when prices are falling the real interest rate is pro tanto increasedMore example sentences
- As to ‘poorer countries’, many of which are source nations, the orderly marketing of surplus cultural objects could pro tanto displace the black market while providing a significant source of income to the source nation and its citizens.
- The availability of this restitutionary remedy which would pro tanto discharge any liability on the judgment debtor's bank account meant that the bank would not be liable to pay twice and a garnishee order absolute was, therefore, made.
- To the extent that parents have a responsibility to support their adult dependent children, the parents' burden of support is lightened pro tanto with the adult child's ability to support himself.
Latin, literally 'for so much'.
More definitions of pro tantoDefinition of pro tanto in:
- The US English dictionary