- A mammal of the order Proboscidea, which comprises the elephants and their extinct relatives.More example sentences
- The nature and behavior of these proboscideans have also haunted South African naturalist Lyall Watson, who evokes their world in Elephantoms: Tracking the Elephant (W. W. Norton).
- In addition, because they are believed to be the sister group to proboscideans, their aquatic preferences raise interesting evolutionary questions.
- The earliest proboscideans lacked any trunk or tusks.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting proboscideans.More example sentences
- Hypsodonty has been shown to be a spurious correlate to obligate grazing in previous studies on certain equid and proboscidean taxa as well.
- As humans moved north into Eurasia from Africa and, later, south from Alaska across the Americas, proboscidean range contracted correspondingly.
- If climate was the culprit, then people and proboscideans should have shared some of the same territory, at least until climate change shrunk proboscidean habitat.
More definitions of proboscideanDefinition of proboscidean in:
- The US English dictionary