Definition of procoagulant in English:
Relating to or denoting substances that promote the conversion in the blood of the inactive protein prothrombin to the clotting enzyme thrombin.
- Protective mechanisms prevent thrombin and other procoagulant enzymes from forming in healthy intact blood vessels.
- Thrombomodulin is an integral membrane glycoprotein that binds thrombin changing it from a procoagulant protein to an anticoagulant.
- The cap acts as a protective barrier between circulating blood and the thrombogenic, procoagulant contents of the lesion.
nounBack to top
A procoagulant substance.
- Taipan venom is overwhelmingly neurotoxic, including pre and post-synaptic neurotoxins, as well as powerful procoagulants and myolysins.
- The exudate, procoagulants, and leukocytes form casts in the airways, resulting in poor gas exchange.
- Chemotherapy acts by killing leukemic cells, which release procoagulants that can produce disseminated intravascular coagulation.
Definition of procoagulant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan