Definition of procurator in English:
1 Law An agent representing others in a court of law in countries retaining Roman civil law.
- Nowhere in the flayed skin of Grünewald is there a trace of the Jesus who looked at Pilate through his one good eye and informed the Roman procurator that he would have no power were it not given from above.
- Another handy weapon in political and commercial warfare turned out to be the state procurators and courts staffed by judges who, like the KGB operatives, were inherited from the Soviet Union.
- The other was responsible for crown property throughout Britain, and to it reported the local procurators who acted as agents in charge.
1.1(In Scotland) a lawyer practising before the lower courts.
- Performing the functions of a public prosecutor, a procurator also had responsibility for ‘overseeing legality’, which meant the operation of the courts and state administration.
- At the lowest level were thousands of petty jurisdictions, many private, but all fully staffed by a complement of judges, clerks, procurators, ushers, and tipstaffs.
- You can guarantee as a procurator when you make a decision that someone is not going to like it.
2 historical A treasury officer in a province of the Roman Empire.
- Paulinus quelled the revolt with ruthless efficiency but his methods were frowned upon by the new procurator (finance official), Classicianus.
- The patriarchate of Moscow was abolished by Peter the Great in 1721 and replaced by a Holy Synod of bishops which was controlled by a lay official, the chief procurator.
- In the same site is a copy of the oldest inscription found in the city on the tomb of some procurator or other who had helped put down the revolt by Boudicca.
- Example sentences
- According to the Chinese Constitution and relevant laws, the people's courts and the people's procuratorates exercise judicial power and procuratorial power independently in accordance with the law.
- According to yesterday's Sports Weekly, a popular Chinese-language sports newspaper, the procuratorial authority of Beijing issued an arrest warrant for Gong on Tuesday based on the results of a police investigation.
- The major task of a deputy is to use the constitution and all the existing laws to supervise the officials in the court, in the court and in the procuratorial office.
- Example sentences
- The years of his procuratorships produced a 31-book history continuing the historian Aufidius Bassus and covering the later Julio-Claudian period; and, dedicated to Titus, the Naturalis Historia.
Definition of procurator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia