verb[no object] (often as noun profiteering)
Make or seek to make an excessive or unfair profit, especially illegally: seven food merchants were charged with profiteering
More example sentences
- US and French delegates immediately rejected the idea declaring that it could lead to smuggling and profiteering.
- He shows how desertions, profiteering, hoarding, and plunder were widespread.
- Of course, facilitators like Joe see no ethical conflict in profiteering on their connections.
A person who profiteers: a war profiteer
More example sentences
- It will become even harder to swing public opinion behind humanitarian interventions if war profiteers and racist thugs are direct beneficiaries.
- The experience tilted the historical scales towards the war profiteers and the army's most successful commander - Napoleon Bonaparte.
- In a country that promotes the virtues of the free market, he died for the benefit of the war profiteers and for very little benefit to himself.
Words that rhyme with profiteeradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: prof¦it|eer
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.