noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A substance produced by the pancreas which is converted to insulin.More example sentences
- Following cleavage of the 24 amino acid signal peptide the protein folds into proinsulin.
- Unlike the single chain precursor of insulin, proinsulin, this new construct retains up to 40 per cent of insulin activity.
- The processing of proinsulin to insulin within the secretory granules of the Golgi complex is dependent on critical levels of pH as well as ATP.
More definitions of proinsulinDefinition of proinsulin in:
- The US English dictionary