1 Geometry Relating to or derived by projection: projective transformations
More example sentences
- In it he introduced homogeneous coordinates and also discussed geometric transformations, in particular projective transformations.
- Further collaboration with Lie followed and they worked on an investigation of W-curves, curves invariant under a group of projective transformations.
- Choice of the proper projective coordinate system permits the reduction of these power series to simple canonical forms.
1.1(Of a property of a figure) unchanged by projection.
- As we have indicated above, Guccia's work was on geometry, in particular Cremona transformations, classification of curves and projective properties of curves.
- In the second he considers a certain class of surfaces and expresses characteristic properties of these surfaces in terms of standard projective elements.
2 Psychology Relating to the unconscious transfer of one’s desires or emotions to another person: the projective contents of wish fantasies
More example sentences
- Repressions of the dark aspects of our histories involve projective burdens for our children.
- People in the environment may invalidate the client inadvertently, partly as a result of projective identification by the client with borderline personality disorder of negative parts of the self on to significant others.
- He described the blurring of boundaries into a ‘marital joint personality,’ which occurs through projective identification.
2.1Relating to the unconscious expression or introduction of one’s impressions or feelings.
- This provides a way of understanding how the concept of the therapist's projective identification works in practice, that is, how the therapist can be in touch with emotional states in the patient of which the patient is hardly aware.
- You can do this by doing a projective style of interviewing that goes deeper than asking applicants about their backgrounds and what they would do in various hypothetical situations.
- Example sentences
- Thus, there does not appear to be evidence that willingness to admit to cocaine use is directly linked to either subjectively or projectively expressed comfort with the survey.
- When the same questions were asked projectively and subjectively, the questions alternated from projective to subjective.
- The Steiner theorem states that the two pencils by which a conic is projected from two of its points are projectively related.
Definition of projective in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.