Definition of prokaryote in English:
A microscopic single-celled organism which has neither a distinct nucleus with a membrane nor other specialized organelles, including the bacteria and cyanobacteria. Compare with eukaryote.
- These proteins are expressed by all organisms ranging from prokaryotes to higher eukaryotes, including human cells.
- In a few organisms called prokaryotes, there is no defined nucleus and the DNA is found throughout the cell.
- The difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes is that eukaryotes have a nucleus, while prokaryotes do not.
- Example sentences
- The structural integrity of recombinant products generated by prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms is a major concern.
- This is a region of highest conservation, which consists of amino acids that are identical in both the prokaryotic and eukaryotic homologs.
- Several OYE homologues have been reported in prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms.
Definition of prokaryote in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan