noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic antihistamine drug derived from phenothiazine, used chiefly to treat the symptoms of allergies and motion sickness.More example sentences
- Causative medications are droperidol, diphenhydramine, meperidine, promethazine, atropine, and scopolamine.
- He was treated with promethazine and amoxicillin, and discharged.
- Lytic cocktail is a term used loosely to describe a fixed combination of meperidine, promethazine, and chlorpromazine intended typically for intramuscular use.
1950s: from pro(pyl) + (di)meth(ylamine), a colourless gas + (phenothi)azine.
More definitions of promethazineDefinition of promethazine in:
- The US English dictionary