- 1Important; famous: she was a prominent member of the city councilMore example sentences
important, well known, leading, eminent, pre-eminent, distinguished, notable, noteworthy, noted, public, outstanding, foremost, of mark, illustrious, celebrated, famous, renowned, acclaimed, famed, honoured, esteemed, respected, well thought of, influential, prestigious, big, top, great, chief, main; North American major-league
- The Rothschilds are still prominent in banking in Britain and are notable patrons of the arts and sciences.
- Many of the family have lived in America for several years and some of them are very prominent in business circles in the Chicago area.
- They were prominent in the farming business and ran a progressive operation in that part of mid-Roscommon.
- 2Projecting from something; protuberant: a man with big, prominent eyes like a lobster’sMore example sentences
- His hair is flattened from sleep, his prominent ears projecting like wings from the sides of his head.
- Rising from the radiator grille, a prominent bulge in the hood runs to the base of the windscreen.
- For your first project choose leaves that are relatively flat and have prominent veins.
- 3Situated so as to catch the attention; noticeable: the new housing estates are prominent landmarksMore example sentences
- The planning process begins with the posting of a notice in a prominent position at the site of property.
- I have noticed that the most prominent activity at the festival is alcohol consumption.
- It went on to say that the suggested site is situated in a prominent section of this new streetscape.
nounBack to top
- More example sentences
- Display the explanation clearly, and as prominently as the price indication.
- This last piece of evidence is particularly contentious and likely to feature prominently in the appeal.
- The photo will be prominently posted until you apologize to me publicly for this attack.
late Middle English (in the sense 'projecting'): from Latin prominent- 'jutting out', from the verb prominere. Compare with eminent.