Definition of prompt in English:
- This may have been prompted by the fact that I have a job interview on Thursday.
- The study has been prompted by the fact the number of retests has more than doubled since 1999.
- The contract prohibits layoffs unless prompted by events beyond the company's control.
- Of course, they could be prompted to write in response to emotions on a biochemical rather than conscious level.
- Winslow's instincts prompted her to change course three years ago to pursue her dream of becoming an author.
- That would of course prompt him to talk about the park yesterday.
- Mistakenly believing that he needs encouragement, I prompt: ‘does it make you happy to write?’
- It must be nearly thirty years since I have read it but I could almost quote it as soon as the first line prompted me.
- The elder daughter silently mouths the word to prompt her sister.
- Not only are there no other performers to distract the audience, there is no handy support mechanism to prompt a line.
- Considering that each has no other actor to prompt them, they do a remarkable job.
- Yes, and we had to keep prompting her with her lines and said most of them ourselves.
- When prompted for a password, be sure to write it down.
- You can't shop, bank or read many newspapers online without being prompted for a password.
- You will be prompted for your password, and the file should copy to the current directory.
nounBack to top
- I sat here and said ‘Aye’ in response to Mr Speaker's prompts.
- Practise active, reflective listening - listen carefully, repeat what you've heard to make sure you understand and give positive prompts to encourage your child to continue.
- Scott's own contribution to the evening seems to have been limited to a whispered prompt.
- Phil stormed onto the stage, pulled the ear piece from Gary's ear and demanded that he do his trick without the aid of offstage prompts.
- While the other performers continued mouthing their parts to give the impression that a technical fault had occurred, the culprit was given a prompt.
- Note that Windows, except at the DOS command prompt, supports forward slashes in all file paths.
- A display manager provides a graphical login prompt for the user.
- Delete the existing DOS partition by following the prompts on screen.
adjectiveBack to top
- The day I brought Band-Aids, a large number of animals suddenly needed prompt attention.
- I must commend the RTA for a prompt reply to my letter, and their immediate attention to this dangerous situation.
- The instantaneous nature of the net then provokes a prompt response.
- I am, generally, a prompt person and I'm giving you ample notice.
- The doctors and staff were very prompt in checking me out and were not sure whether I was having a severe angina attack or a mild heart attack.
- I called the police and they were very prompt but they didn't catch him.
adverbBritish Back to top
- Example sentences
- The web writer jumps from stone to stone in this giddy lake, with his/her own feverish promptitude being the singular millstone.
- With customary promptitude and precision our historian completed his task.
- I reached the pit with a swift promptitude and charged back with even quicker speed.
- Example sentences
speed, swiftness, speediness, rapidity, promptitude, alacrity, dispatch, quickness, expeditiousness, expedition, immediacy, instantaneousness, readiness, willingness, eagerness;punctuality
- My self-righteousness faded immediately, for the principal replied with astonishing promptness and courtesy.
- As part of this contract, orders for NHS medicines are dispensed for patients on demand with reasonable promptness.
- The promptness of the administration when it comes to demolishing our houses and arresting us is admirable.
Middle English (as a verb): based on Old French prompt or Latin promptus 'brought to light', also 'prepared, ready', past participle of promere 'to produce', from pro- 'out, forth' + emere 'take'.
Words that rhyme with promptKlimt
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.