- 1With little or no delay; immediately: he paid the fine promptlyMore example sentences
punctually, on time, on the dot, on the nailNorth American • informal on the buttonAustralian/New Zealand • informal on the knockerquickly, swiftly, rapidly, speedily, fast, as soon as possible, expeditiously; at once, immediately, straight away, right away, now, without delay, without hesitation, forthwith, directly, instantly, instantaneously, by return, unhesitatingly; North American momentarily
- All invitations sent to a gentleman of any sort are promptly accepted or declined.
- All orders intrusted to Mr. Cook will be promptly filled.
- The waves caused superficial damage which will need to be repaired promptly to avoid further damage.
- 1.1Used to express surprise, and slight disapproval, when someone does something shortly after something else: every time she managed to pay her credit card off, she promptly went shopping againMore example sentences
- His on-off relationship with a famous actress results in the birth of a son whom Ellis promptly disowns.
- The veracity of this individual's account cannot be verified as he promptly disappeared.
- Anyway, I went into David Jones, and, looking like the neo-hippie that I am, they promptly ignored me.
- 2At exactly a specified time; punctually: Jamie arrived promptly at 8:30More example sentences
- The store manager walked up the temporary stage promptly at 6 PM.
- The paper must go to press promptly at 3 o'clock.
- On makeover day, Sue was picked up promptly at 8: 30 a.m. by Don Curl of Mountview Dodge Chrysler Jeep.