(also proper name)
- A name used for an individual person, place, or organization, spelled with an initial capital letter, e.g. Jane, London, and Oxfam. Often contrasted with common noun.More example sentences
- From the start, we had to be in agreement, for example, on the translation of street names, proper names, nicknames.
- In everyday English, such a use of proper names, nicknames/pseudonyms, or addresses would be just bizarre.
- She stresses that, in contrast to common names, proper names are specific labels for which there is, in general, no ‘synonymous’ label.
More definitions of proper nounDefinition of proper noun in:
- The US English dictionary