1Corresponding in size or amount to something else: the punishment should be proportional to the crime
More example sentences
- The amounts produced are proportional to the size of the gland, whether this is increased benignly or by prostate cancer.
- As such the amount paid in fees, proportional to the amount under management, has continued to increase.
- The amount of tiles left out will be proportional to the size of the tile.
1.1 Mathematics (Of a variable quantity) having a constant ratio to another quantity.
- The ratio of the squares of the periods of two planets is directly proportional to the ratio of the cubes of the radii of their orbits.
- Gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.
- Instead the heat is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pro|por¦tion¦al
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.