The owner of a business, or a holder of property: Chinese restaurant proprietors by 1640 he was himself the proprietor of a three-hundred-acre tract
More example sentences
- Its proprietors have managed to fashion a sow's ear out of a silk purse.
- Each year, thousands of sole proprietors double the size of their businesses by hiring their first employee.
- If her bid stands, she could become the sole proprietor of the hotel.
owner, possessor, holder, keeper, freeholder, landowner, squire, landlord/landlady, master/mistress;
innkeeper, hotelkeeper, hotelier, licensee, patron, shopkeeper;
- Example sentences
- Although California imposes strict limitations on when a trust may own stock or a partnership interest in an accountancy firm, these limitations do not apply to ownership of a sole proprietorship.
- Choose the right business entity: Many new entrepreneurs choose sole proprietorship because it's easy to set up, yet it offers little protection from lawsuits.
- Many small businesses start their businesses as sole proprietorships or partnerships.
Words that rhyme with proprietorrioter
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pro¦pri|etor
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.