verb[with object] chiefly North American
Allocate, distribute, or assess pro rata: bonuses are prorated over the life of a player’s contract
More example sentences
- Job sharing allows two people to share one full-time position, prorating salary and some benefits.
- Drawbacks include reduced income, a higher cost for benefits if they are prorated, and lower contributions by the employer to a 401 plan.
- The part-time tenure track prorates additional years to tenure review based on the full-time equivalent.
- Example sentences
- The excessive prorations ensure the Redskins will be capped out in three to four years - and the process will be accelerated if any of their new players' contracts are terminated early because of injury or erosion of skill.
- He signed for what looked like a $10 million bonus, and in theory a gentleman who just cashed a huge check cannot be cut for years because proration of the bonus would crash-land onto the salary cap.
- Later, the judge ruled that, constitutionally, the cutbacks could not come via proration.
Words that rhyme with prorateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
Definition of prorate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.