noun (plural prosceniums or proscenia /prə(ʊ)ˈsiːnɪə/)
1The part of a theatre stage in front of the curtain.
- The fourteen dancers melted into patterns out of an old Golddiggers flick and at one point, all posed at the front of the proscenium and twittered their legs like a bevy of chorines from an old Movietone newsreel.
- During an orchestra rehearsal for New York City Ballet, he rushes onto the stage from the audience, nimbly maneuvering over a narrow strip between the proscenium and the orchestra pit.
- No one dared intrude beyond the presidential seal woven into the center of the pale green rug that lay before the President's mahogany desk: the proscenium of the stage.
1.1The stage of an ancient theatre.
- Before any appreciation of the performance, it should be noted that it is really a nice experience to watch those trained in theatre moving around the proscenium.
- It may seem a bit ironic that street theatre finds a place on the proscenium, but it nevertheless is the only time of the year when it gets its precious share of media as well as public attention.
- The largest studio measures 1,952 square feet and in width approximates the size of the proscenium in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, where Ballet British Columbia performs locally.
1.2 short for proscenium arch.
- Using the window like a movie screen or a theatrical proscenium, he constructs a scenario familiar from all visual narrative forms: the characters look at each other while we look at them.
- Conceding the point, many opera houses nowadays always flash surtitles above the proscenium.
- The coloured lights surrounding the proscenium were washed away and had no effect.
Early 17th century: via Latin from Greek proskēnion, from pro 'before' + skēnē 'stage'.
Words that rhyme with prosceniumhelenium, rhenium, ruthenium, selenium
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pro|scen¦ium
Definition of proscenium in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.