(also prostate gland)
A gland surrounding the neck of the bladder in male mammals and releasing a fluid component of semen.
- The accessory glands, including the seminal vesicles and the prostate gland, provide fluids that lubricate the duct system and nourish the sperm.
- The prostate gland surrounds the urethra at the base of the bladder in men.
- The specimen consisted of a urinary bladder and attached prostate gland with bilateral seminal vesicles and vas deference.
- Example sentences
- The pudendal nerve innervates the few striated muscles within the prostatic capsule.
- If one or both testicular arteries are missing, the testes are supplied by branches from the vesical or prostatic arteries passing under the arch of the pubis.
- The importance of distinguishing between benign prostatic hyperplasia and benign prostatic enlargement and bladder outlet obstruction is fundamental.
Mid 17th century: via French from modern Latin prostata, from Greek prostatēs 'one that stands before', from pro 'before' + statos 'standing'.
Words that rhyme with prostateapostate
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pros|tate
Definition of prostate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.