Definition of protector in English:
1A person or thing that protects someone or something: a man who became her protector, adviser, and friend ear protectors
More example sentences
- The biggest of the ringing bells is three tonnes and an arresting sight as it gracefully arcs round, even if we can't hear it to its full capacity thanks to our bright red ear protectors.
- In the way they are described in this bill they sound a bit like glamorised security guards and protectors of the collections.
- Currently, though, and from a historical standpoint, the custodians and protectors of the document inspire little confidence.
2.1 (also Lord Protector of the Commonwealth) The title of the head of state in England during the later period of the Commonwealth between 1653 and 1659, first Oliver Cromwell (1653-8), then his son Richard (1658-9).
- Through his unique talents as a politician and military commander during the Civil War, Oliver Cromwell rose from humble origins to become Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England.
- In 1653 it became the home of Oliver Cromwell after he was made Lord Protector of the Commonwealth.
- Example sentences
- While few can argue against the appropriateness of the U.N. protectorship over the territory, the way its representatives and personnel present themselves will be crucial to social stability.
- In London too, fine cuisine is increasingly under the protectorship of hotels.
- Eleanor is sentenced to banishment and Gloucester surrenders the protectorship.
Words that rhyme with protectorbisector, collector, connector, convector, corrector, defector, deflector, detector, director, ejector, elector, erector, hector, injector, inspector, nectar, objector, perfecter, projector, prospector, rector, reflector, rejector, respecter, sector, selector, Spector, spectre (US specter), vector
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan